Where to find resources

The authoritative resource for information on the role of Child Protection Services, The Family Services Act, and the role of the Department of Social Development is the Public Legal Education and Information Service of New Brunswick, or PLEIS-NB.

On their website you will find information on what parents and others should know about the process of Social Development intervening in suspected cases of abuse or neglect.

When will the Department of Social Development Intervene?

From the PLEIS-NB website:

“Here are some examples of what could go wrong in your home:

  • You are not providing reasonable care or supervision for your child. It is an offence to leave children under the age of twelve for an unreasonable amount of time without a responsible sitter.
  • Your house is unhealthy or unsafe for your child.
  • You are not feeding your child adequately.
    You are not giving your child the medical attention he or she needs.
  • You are having problems with drugs, alcohol or gambling and it affects your child.
  • Your child is being abused physically or sexually.
  • Your child is exposed to severe family violence.
  • Your child withdraws from parental control by running away from home.
  • Your child has been abandoned.
  • Your child is likely to injure himself.
  • You are not making your child go to school.”

Reporting abuse is your legal obligation

When you suspect abuse or violence that puts a child in danger, you have a legal obligation to report it. In New Brunswick, Child Protection Services investigates every reported case of abuse or suspected abuse. There are eight regional Offices of the Department of Social Development where abuse can be reported.

How to report suspected abuse